Monday, September 21, 2009

Calm Among the Chaos

I've been thinking about how my stitching helps me have control in the otherwise hectic, chaotic life I lead. I have a stressful job with someone always wanting something from me. My kids need so much and I don't know how to keep up with them. But when I plan a project or sit down with a few pieces of handwork, I come into focus. I can literally have it all in my own hands, as long as I have what I need to do my project, of course. But when you don't have what you need, you are forced to be creative and come up with a solution.

In going through my stash, I came across a couple of small tops that would be great to finish and maybe embellish with some applique to add something special. I'm energized and excited. I know these projects are just the right size to try out some FMQ techniques that I've been studying. Yea!

I also love piecing scraps into new fabric. The other day I was just noodling around and found a bag of scraps and end pieces I bought at my LQS (they look like pieces left over from cutting kits) and just started piecing atrips from the bag along with some other scraps I had on my sewing table. Before I know it, I have a sizeable piece of new fabric. Originally, I just wanted to practice FMQ on the piece and leave it at that. But...I have a backpack pattern that takes a piece just about the size of my created fabric, and well, the wheels are really turning now.

I buy all kinds of fabric in big chunks to make a fantastic large quilt that starts to blossom in my brain, but what I really use is all the small chunks that fall into my lap. Sometimes it's hard to cut into that beautiful piece of fabric if you're not sure what you want to do. I feel very free when I am working with something I don't have to worry about, like a pile of scrappy strips.

So, let's see. Current project list:
"new fabric" backpack with FMQ
completed snowman table runner top that needs a cool quilted filler design
design a casserole carrier for a 9X13 stoneware dish for a Xmas gift
hexagon rosettes for Australian challenge

That's all I can think of. Now, who's cooking dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment