Sunday, September 20, 2009

Taking Things Into My Own Hands

I started this yesterday and it covers stuff I talked about today, but I like what I wrote, so I'm going to post it anyway:

I've been thinking about how my sewing activities give me this little island of control in the chaos of my life. I have strict rules about people not getting into my "stuff" and my sewing room is the only sacred room in the house for me.



I think that another reason I'm drawn to hand work--hexagons, quilting, embroidery, applique--is the immediateness of the work. It is in my hands and I make it successful. I love the feel of the fabric and the repetition is soothing.



I haven't worked on any hexagons for a few days. My best friend's mother passed away on Friday. My stepmother is terminally ill as well. The kids still have their activities that keep us so busy. I'm thinking of some tiny hexagon rosettes to applique on a baby quilt for a friend's first granddaughter.



I can feel my mood sinking a little with the approach of autumn. The low angle of the sun affects me almost immediately.



I have 2 Christmas projects to lift my spirits and a whole slew of blogs to follow and inspire me. I love seeing the clever things people do--how do they find the time! Not that anyone will read this, but Thanks for the positive vibes you all send out! Leah Day makes my day everyday with her new FMQ patterns. She is my inspiration.

Well, that should do for today. I've got to keep the momentum going.

No comments:

Post a Comment